Douglas Barstow, M.D.
Dr. Barstow started ninth grade at Anderson, but finished high school in Dallas. He eventually moved on to receive his undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences from Texas A&M University, where he did research in Neuroscience and Bioremediation of contaminated soil. As a student, he was one of the founding members of the “Replant” tree planting tradition at Texas A&M, where he was appointed to a cabinet level position in TAMU Student Government Association as Chairman of the newly formed Environmental Issues Committee.
After college, he earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. Internship and residency in Internal Medicine were completed at LSU in Baton Rouge, LA. He then completed his clinical fellowship in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, and worked as a research fellow in the division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, at Charity Hospital in New Orleans, LA. Arriving in Austin, Dr. Barstow continued to follow his research interests as an investigator in several allergy clinical research trials, on the cutting edge bringing new medicines to help allergy and asthma sufferers.
Dr. Barstow is a member of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, where he has served on the national Indoor Environment Committee, Aerobiology Committee, and Basic and Clinical Immunology Committee. He is also a member of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
In his spare time, Dr. Barstow enjoys hiking, racing cars and playing with his two children.
Dr. Barstow has served on the following boards:
– Central Texas Board of the American Diabetes Association
– Louisiana Health Care Review Clinical Advisory Board
- University of Texas Medical Branch
- LSU , LSU
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- Travis County Medical Society
- Texas Allergy and Immunology Society
- American Thoracic Society
- BCBS TX
- Capital Area Providers
- eton Health Alliance/Dell Children''s Health All
- Friday Health Plans
- Partners Direct Health PPO Network
- Prime Health Services
- Seton Health Plan
- Seton Physician Hospital Network
- Tricare East - Humana Military
- United Health Care