UPDATE- TWO ITEMS
First - I have my COVID19 Vaccination scheduled for Saturday.
Second - The FDA has clarified its guidance
- It is safe for people with ANY history of allergies, however
- It is NOT safe for those with a known history of a severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine
Dr. Peter Marks, director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at the FDA is quoted, 'I want to reassure the public that although there were these few reactions in Great Britain, these were not seen in the larger clinical trial datasets'. He continues referring to the Pfizer vaccine, 'is one that we're comfortable giving to patients who have had other allergic reactions besides those other than severe allergic reactions to a vaccine or one of its components.' This update is from Medscape
An observation to share- that warning about vaccines not being safe for those with a history of a reaction to a known substance within the vaccine is not unique to the COVID19 vaccine. If you read the labels, you will see the same verbiage used for almost all biologic therapies.
The active ingredient is - 30 micrograms of modified messenger RNA that codes for the spikes on the virus
- 0.43 mg of (4-hydroxybutyl) azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-dyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate),
- 0.05 mg of 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide
- 0.09 mg 0f 1,2-distearoly-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine
- 0.2 mg cholesterol
- 0.01 mg potassium chloride
- 0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate
- 0..36 mg sodium chloride
- 0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate
Sugar -6mg of sucrose
The fats help with delivery of the vaccine to the target site. Cholesterol is a natural component- we all have some of that in our systems. The polyethylene glycol (PEG) is not normally in our bodies. PEG is used is many products. There have been rare cases of allergic reactions to high concentrations of PEG-with referring to laxatives which may have high amounts of this molecule.
I hope all this helps you see a clearer picture of the vaccine and those with allergies.