What Is an Allergist?
Specialized Physicians Dedicated to Helping You Find Relief
An allergist is a medical professional specializing in diagnosing, treating, and managing allergies and immunologic disorders. Allergists have extensive knowledge of the immune system and specialize in consulting with patients on their individual needs. They can provide treatments such as allergen immunotherapy, medication, and lifestyle modifications to reduce symptoms. Additionally, they can help identify triggers for allergies and develop strategies to prevent reactions, as well as offer advice on how to cope with any emotional distress that may be associated with allergic conditions.
Allergists are physicians who have received specialized training beyond medical school to diagnose and treat a range of conditions affecting your immune system. After completing medical school, allergists:
- Undergo three years of training in either internal medicine or pediatrics .
- Pass the exam of either the American Board of Internal Medicine or the American Board of Pediatrics.
- Complete an additional two years of study, called a fellowship, in an allergy/immunology training program.
Most allergists at Allergy Partners are also certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology as experts in the management, treatment, and diagnosis of allergies, asthma, and other allergic diseases.
When Should You See an Allergist?
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), more than 60 million Americans struggle with allergies every year. That’s about one in six people! While symptoms can range from mild to severe, no one wants to sniffle, sneeze, wheeze, or cough their way through the day. If you’re dealing with allergies, asthma, or another condition, it’s time to see an allergist when:
- Your symptoms are beginning to interfere with your day-to-day activities and decrease your quality of life.
- You frequently suffer from sinus or ear infections, headaches, sneezing, and coughing.
- You feel like you’re always sick, and it takes you a long time to get over colds or routine illnesses.
- You are not finding relief from over-the-counter allergy medications or are experiencing negative side effects.
- You wheeze, cough, or feel short of breath frequently, especially after exercise or at night.
- You have experienced serious allergic reactions such as hives, swelling, or anaphylaxis.
If one or more of the above describe your experience, today’s the day to take that first step toward finding a solution and feeling better.
Allergy Partners understands the challenges patients face with allergies and asthma, and we are here to provide relief and restore your quality of life. Our Allergists will evaluate your condition to pinpoint your specific allergies and create a customized treatment plan to alleviate your allergy symptoms and help you live life more fully.
We’ve created a Pathway to Relief that makes finding relief convenient and seamless. Our four-step process gets you in and out and on your way to feeling better quickly.
How We Provide Lasting Relief
Find the treatment that works best for you
Your allergy struggle is unique. As partners, we provide customized relief plans for every patient we serve.
Allergy Partners is proud to be the largest and most trusted allergy and asthma practice in the country. We deliver the latest advances in allergy and asthma care to local communities across the country.
Developed with input from hundreds of specialists, our processes are designed to provide patients with better, fast relief from their allergies with the best care available.
From easy appointment scheduling to in-office laboratory testing to after-visit summaries, we make it easier than ever to find the relief you need and deserve.