I am a fellow in the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI). A recent update on the vaccine and severe allergy was just posted.
There is a link to the CDC algorithm that was developed to help in making a decision about the vaccine.
This is a snipet of that algorithm focusing on allergies and the vaccine.
PROCEED WITH VACCINATION (if there is a)
- History of food, pet, insect, venom, environmental, latex etc., allergies
- History of allergy to an oral medication (including the oral equivalent of an injectable medication)
- Non-serious allergy to vaccine or other injectables (e.g., no anaphylaxis)
- Family history of anaphylaxis
Action Step - 15 minute observation period after the injection is given.
PRECAUTION TO VACCINATION (if there is a)
- History of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to another vaccine (not including the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine)
- History of severe allergic reactin (e.g., anaphylaxis) to an injectable medication
- Risk Assessment
- Potential deferral of vaccination
- 30-minute observation period if vaccinated
CONTRAINDICATION TO VACCINATION - (do not vaccinate if there is a)
- History of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine
Action Step - Do not vaccinate
What is helpful here is that severe allergic reactions are defined as anaphylaxis.