I am still trying to keep track of the allergic reaction reports potentially due to the COVID vaccines. They appear somewhat sporadically and unfortunately; we hear (actually read about it) of a reaction but are not privy to the specifics of what went on.
A recent MEDSCAPE MEDICAL NEWS article came my way today- Anaphylaxis Cases after COVID vaccine rising but are still rare: CDC.
I am paraphrasing here-
1. 29 cases of anaphylaxis according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (but this was from January 6th- a week ago).
2. These reactions do not favor one vaccine over the other. They have been seen with both the Pfizer and the Moderna offering.
3. Incidence – 11.1 cases of anaphylaxis per million doses of COVID19 vaccine given.
4. Comparison – 1.3 cases of anaphylaxis per million does of the influenza vaccine.
5. Point to ponder – low risk of anaphylaxis to a vaccine that will help to cover an illness that takes the lives of 2,000 people per day. The condition kills at a significantly higher rate compared to the rate of anaphylaxis (I have not heard of any anaphylactic deaths due to the vaccine).
6. We have experience in treating anaphylaxis- what do we have to treat COVID?
7. 71% of the anaphylactic reactions occurred within 15 minutes after getting the immunization – be sure you wait your time!